The Hudson River Valley National Heritage Area does not own or operate any of the sites listed below. They are owned and managed by the organizations listed in the site descriptions. Please call ahead for special accommodation needs or with any questions about their sites.

D & H Canal Historical Society and Museum

Corridor of Commerce

The D&H Canal Museum is housed in a former Episcopal Church (completed in 1885) in the historic
hamlet of High Falls, NY. The museum’s exhibits portray the canal’s history, and include a working
model of a lock, a life-sized recreated canal boat cabin, a moving model of a gravity railroad brake car,
financial documents, and dioramas of the gravity railroad and canal life. Many tools and artifacts are
on display, along with original paintings by canal-era artists. The D&H canal property was designated a
National Historic Landmark in 1968, and locks 16 through 20 were cleared and refurbished (to the
extent possible) in 1999. Originally built in 1847, these five locks were part of a new route designed
to accommodate increased traffic and larger boats. A loading quay can be seen just past lock 16.

Amenities: Passport Stamp, Family Friendly, Greenway Trail Access, Restrooms