Please call the individual sites directly to inquire about the events listed on our event calendars and to inquire about hours.
The Maurice D. Hinchey Hudson River Valley National Heritage Area does not own or operate any of the sites listed below. They are owned and managed by the organizations listed in the site descriptions. Please call ahead for special accommodation needs or with any questions about their sites.
Poets' Walk Park
Landscapes & Gardens
740 River Road, (County Road 103)
Red Hook, NY
- (845) 473-4440
- Dutchess County
- Dutchess County Tourism Website
- Show on Map
- Send Message
- Follow us on Facebook
- Gates open every day at 8:30 a.m. Closing hours vary according to the season: Nov 1–Mar 13: 6pm Mar 14–Apr 30: 7:30pm May 1–Sep 30: 8:30pm Oct 1–Oct 31: 7:30pm
In 1849, members of the Astor and Delano families, who lived in adjacent estates, commissioned Germanborn landscape architect Hans Jacob Ehlers to make improvements on these grounds. The classic wooded vistas, sunlit fields and thick forest were the main focus of Ehlers’ vision for the property. He fashioned a series of “outdoor rooms,” using stands of foliage and stone walls to break up the landscape, which includes rolling meadows, forests, and a ravine. Ehlers also created a shaded, streamside path, dubbed Poets’ Walk in honor of Washington Irving and other literary figures who reputedly strolled here. Today, the 120-acre park features two miles of trails through woods with rustic pavilions, bridges and benches. Conservation easements protect 780 acres of private lands around the park, ensuring serenity while enjoying outstanding Hudson River and Catskill Mountain views.
Amenities: Restrooms, Family Friendly
- Montgomery Place at Bard College0.9 miles
- Richard B. Fisher Center for the Performing Arts1.2 miles
- Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome 3.3 miles
- Saugerties Lighthouse5.1 miles
- Clermont State Historic Site 6 miles