The Hudson River Valley National Heritage Area does not own or operate any of the sites listed below. They are owned and managed by the organizations listed in the site descriptions. Please call ahead for special accommodation needs or with any questions about their sites.
5720 Route 9G
- (518) 828-0135
- Columbia County
- Columbia County Tourism Website
- Show on Map
- Follow us on Facebook
- House Tours: May-Oct, 2016: Tue-Fri, 10am-5pm; Sat-Sun, 10am-2pm Grounds: Daily, 8am-Sunset Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, New Year's Day, and Easter See website for details
- Handicap Accessible
In 1860, at the height of his career as one of America’s most renowned landscape painters, Frederic Edwin Church began purchasing farmland overlooking the Hudson River. After a trip to the Middle East in the late 1860s, Church worked with architect Calvert Vaux to design a home on the estate’s highest point that incorporated exotic architectural elements he saw on his travels. A series of towers, balconies, recessed porches, and stenciling adorned the home, which featured a central Court Hall surrounded by living spaces for the family that were filled with an eclectic mix of furnishings and objects. Church used the surrounding land as a three-dimensional canvas, planting thousands of trees, creating a lake, and building over five miles of carriage drives. Olana is considered a landmark of Picturesque landscape gardening, with the house at its summit and embracing unrivaled panoramic views of the Hudson Valley.
Amenities: Passport Stamp, Family Friendly, Greenway Trail Access, Restrooms
- Historic Downtown Albany Food Tour30.5 miles
- Collar City Craft Fest36.3 miles
- 2019 ONE GIANT TRY IT: An Interactive Open House36.3 miles
- Children’s Tea & Easter Egg Hunt at Mount Gulian Historic Site48.5 miles
- Open House at Knox's Headquarters53.9 miles