The Hudson River Valley National Heritage Area does not own or operate any of the sites listed below. They are owned and managed by the organizations listed in the site descriptions. Please call ahead for special accommodation needs or with any questions about their sites.
635 South Broadway
- (914) 631-4481
- Westchester County
- Westchester County Tourism Website
- Show on Map
- Send Message
- Follow us on Facebook
- Activities begin in March and April with regularly scheduled tours May to December, Thursdays through Mondays from 10 am to 4 pm. See website for details and to book online. Mansion closed to public January through March.
- Handicap Accessible
Designed in 1838 by Alexander Jackson Davis, Lyndhurst’s architectural brilliance is complemented by a vast collection of art, antiques, and furniture which have remained largely intact due to the mansion’s primary use as a country residence. In most instances, the furnishings are original to the mansion, and more than fifty pieces were designed by the architect himself. The present arrangement of Lyndhurst’s rooms reflects the lives of each of the three noteworthy families who lived in the mansion, including those of: former New York City mayor William Paulding, merchant George Merritt, and railroad tycoon Jay Gould. The grounds at Lyndhurst survive as an outstanding example of 19th century landscape design, with sprawling lawns and surprise views of the Gothic roofline through towering trees. Lyndhurst invites you to explore the evolution of American identity and taste through a tour of 16 elaborately decorated rooms in the mansion interior. Visitors can also join tours that explore Lyndhurst’s unique spaces like the recently restored bowling alley, majestic landscape, kitchens, laundry room, and observation tower overlooking widest part of the lower Hudson River to Manhattan.
First floor is wheelchair accessible, second floor tours are not.
Amenities: Passport Stamp, Family Friendly, Greenway Trail Access, Public Transportation, Restrooms
- Stony Point: From Battlefield to Historic Site14.2 miles
- Greater Hudson Heritage Network 2019 Annual Conference19.1 miles
- Open House at Knox's Headquarters29.4 miles
- Discover Invasive Species with Winnakee Land Trust50.2 miles
- Free Workshop on Use of the Hudson Valley in Literature and Place-Based Learning55.6 miles
Gardens, Grounds and Bowling Pavilion – Walking Tour at Lyndhurst
May 12 to Aug 26, 2019
Sunset Jazz Concerts at Lyndhurst
Jul 11 to Aug 29, 2019
Backstairs Tours at Lyndhurst
May 11 to Sep 14, 2019
Classic Lyndhurst Mansion Tours
May 3 to Sep 14, 2019
Fall Crafts at Lyndhurst
Sep 13 to Sep 15, 2019