The Hudson River Valley National Heritage Area does not own or operate any of the sites listed below. They are owned and managed by the organizations listed in the site descriptions. Please call ahead for special accommodation needs or with any questions about their sites.
Discover Albany Visitors Center
25 Quackenbush Square
- Albany County
- Albany County Tourism Website
- Show on Map
- Send Message
- Follow us on Facebook
- Visitors Center: Apr-Nov: Mon–Fri, 9am–4pm; Sat, 10am–3pm; Sun, 11am–3pm Dec-Mar: Mon–Fri, 9am–3pm; Sat 10am–3pm; Sun, 11am–3pm Henry Hudson Planetarium: Public shows 3rd Sat of each month at 11am and 1pm mid-Feb-Dec
- Handicap Accessible
- Free admission to visitors center; $3 for planetarium.
The Albany Heritage Area comprises all of downtown Albany and is one of 20 New York State Heritage Areas and Corridors that preserve, interpret, and promote special places in the Empire State. The center is located in the former Quackenbush Pumping Station, built in the 1870s, where water was pumped from the Hudson River for filtration before being pumped uphill to city reservoirs. The center provides visitors access to information seven days a week, including an informative exhibit about the history of the City of Albany, the Henry Hudson Planetarium offers monthly programs and group reservations, and a gift shop is stocked with unique Albany items and locally made products. The visitor center is the ideal jumping off point for exploring Albany or the Capital Region. Knowledgeable staff can answer visitor inquiries and the center is well stocked with travel brochures. Print versions of self-guided walking tours are available year round, and guided walking tours are offered seasonally.
Amenities: Restrooms, Public Transportation, Passport Stamp
- Mount Lebanon Opening and Picnic23.1 miles
- Water Wars: Who will "rain" supreme?27.5 miles
- Spring Walk with the Alan Devoe Bird Club at Clermont SHS40.2 miles
- History Happening45.8 miles
- Wallkill Valley Land Trust’s 9th Annual Houses on the Land Historic House Tour 58.8 miles
Historic Downtown Albany Food Tour
May 3 to Oct 26, 2019