Luykas Van Alen House
The Luykas Van Alen house was built in 1737 using the style of rural residences found in Van Alen’s native Netherlands, with stoops at each doorway and parapet gables at its ends. Originally two rooms, Van Alen later enlarged the brick house with a hall and extra room. The family lived in the house until the 20th century and never electrified the structure. The interior has been restored to its 18th century appearance with jambless fireplaces, wide-plank floors, and massive ceiling beams. Rooms are sparsely furnished, as they would have been in Van Alen’s day. In the Groote Kamer (Great Room), there are high-style period furnishings, many of which were made in the Hudson Valley. The kitchen contains cooking implements as well as a large selection of pewter, Delftware, and earthenware. A stairway brought from a demolished 18th century Dutch house in Albany County dominates the hallway.
Amenities: Passport Stamp, Family Friendly, Restrooms