Hart-Cluett House

Architecture, Corridor of Commerce

The Hart-Cluett House is an excellent example of a late Federal-style urban townhouse, built between 1825 and 1827 by New York City entrepreneur William Howard as a gift for his only daughter, Betsey, and her husband, banker Richard P. Hart. It features a marble facade and double portico entryway flanked by Tuscan columns and leaded-glass fanlights. The use of marble on the full facade is believed to be the first time this material was used in such a way on a residential building. The interior includes elaborate, hand-carved woodwork and ornate plaster ceiling medallions. The second and third owners of the house were the Cluetts, who had made their fortunes manufacturing linen shirt collars at a time when Troy was known as the “Collar City.” Also offered are historic walking tours, lectures, exhibit talks and programming designed to tell the varied stories of the people of Rensselaer County. Home of the Rensselaer County Historical Society.

Amenities: Passport Stamp, Family Friendly, Public Transportation, Restrooms