Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center (Vassar College)

Arts, Artists, & the Hudson River School

The Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center, designed by architect Cesar Pelli, opened in 1993. The entrance pavilion (a hexagonal glass atrium) and glass-enclosed walkway afford views across campus lawns. The rectangular brick building housing the galleries features numerous skylights, allowing natural light to filter into the spacious rooms. The objects in the collection— which was begun at the college’s inception in 1861— are displayed in multiple galleries. Highlights include Greek and Egyptian sculptures, as well as paintings by Cézanne, Picasso, and Pollock. Matthew Vassar purchased one of the very first collections of Hudson River paintings from the Reverend Elias Magoon in 1864; these works by Church, Cole, Cropsey, Gifford, and others are on display. An enclosed outdoor sculpture garden includes a variety of unusual trees and vines as well as modern works.

Amenities: Family Friendly; Restrooms