In 1885, Jasper Cropsey moved to this Gothic Revival-style villa on a hill overlooking the Palisades. The home was originally constructed in 1835 and Cropsey added to it a spacious studio with skylights and a massive inglenook fireplace. It was here that he painted sun-filled, meticulously rendered landscapes— often of Hudson River scenes—until his death. The house, which Cropsey dubbed “Ever Rest,” is owned and managed by the nonprofit Newington-Cropsey Foundation. Period wallpapers and curtains enhance the décor, which includes furniture designed by the artist. There is also a large selection of Cropsey’s paintings, watercolors, drawings, and prints as well as samples of his painting implements and other personal effects. The nearby Gallery of Art features paintings from all phases of Cropsey’s career hung in the manner of a 19th century picture gallery.

Amenities: Family Friendly