Jazz In The ValleyAug 20, 2017, 11:00 AM to 12:00 AM Location: 1 Main Street, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
"Jazz in the Valley" was established in 2000 when TRANSART, Inc. received a grant from the New York State Council on the Arts to commission jazz great Ahmad Jamal to compose a piece in homage to the Hudson River Valley. The presentation of this piece, entitled "Picture Perfect," was the beginning of an end-of-summer event for jazz lovers seeking a change of scenery. The event was also an opportunity for local residents to experience jazz. The program has since grown into an annual concert series showcasing music performed by world-class musicians fittingly complemented by breathtaking views of the Hudson River as backdrop.
"Behind the Beat: Intro to Jazz" (BTB) is the educational component of "Jazz in the Valley" and it introduces young people to jazz as an art form. It consists of in-school assembly presentations, master classes and music instruction, and a traditional drumming workshop series offered weekly in an after school program. The programs take place in public school districts through the mid-Hudson Valley in the cities of Kingston, Poughkeepsie, Newburgh, as well as in New York City - anywhere there are numbers of culturally disadvantaged youth.
- Walkway Over The Hudson State Historic Park0.8 miles
- Clinton House1.3 miles
- Glebe House 1.6 miles
- Locust Grove Estate2.4 miles
- Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library and Museum4.3 miles
- Jazz In The Valley0 miles
- Building Community with Place-Based Learning4.3 miles
- Teaching the Hudson Valley Summer Institute4.3 miles
- Historic Housekeeping Made Simple9.7 miles
- Hudson River Maritime Museum and Kingston Sailing Club Launch Two Youth Programs for the “Riverport Sailing School”14.8 miles