Philipsburg Manor Upper Mills
During the 17th and 18th centuries, the landholdings of the Philipse family encompassed 52,000 acres and included a complex that featured a mill, farm, and large stone manor house located on the banks of the Pocantico River. The complex served as the hub of the family’s business empire, which included the slave trade. Thanks to an inventory compiled in 1750, it is known that 23 Africans were the chief labor force at Philipsburg Manor, making the Philipses one of the largest slaveholders in the northern colonies. Today, it is a restored 18th century trading and milling living-history museum that focuses on the lives of enslaved Africans. A reconstructed water powered gristmill grinds grain while heirloom varieties of plants are grown in a recreated slave garden. The site also includes an 18th century Dutch barn. Demonstrations in householding techniques of the period take place in a reconstructed tenant farmer’s house.
Amenities: Family Friendly, Public Transportation, Restrooms, Museum Shop